Monday, November 12, 2012

Digging deep?

Lets just begin this post by listing a few things I'm thankful for...first I'm thankful for an up to date tetanus shot (otherwise I might be in the throes of lock jaw and blogging would become my only means of comunication!)  Second I'm grateful for an amazing daughter who is patient, supportive and loving. Last I'm grateful for hot baths and neosporin. Ok now that I'm in a positive frame of mind I want to recount what happened yesterday. I knew yesterday was gonna be a long day, I had three stops scheduled with a total of 70 animals. We were on the road early and made it to the first stop feeling great, it was looking to be a beautiful day and the sheep were going to be great. First stop was Sue Bundy, for those of you who do not know her she is co-owner of a yarn company that creates single breed, locally sourced yarns which they sell under the name Solitude Wool. They are doing some really neat things and have lovely products. Check out her website and blog at http://www.solitudewool.com/about-us/. But yesterday morning we were at her farm bright and early to shear her 20 Karakuls. I love shearing Karakuls with their goofy fat tails and luxiorious dual coats. They really are a breed with looks. This job went smoothly and was quite a pleasure. The sheep were healthy, the wool was lovely and they had a very nice setup which kept me and ths sheep very happy. Warm temperatures made my long sleeve shirt unessesary but it was such a pleasant morning. From there I went over to a neighbors house and did 10 more lovely Karakuls. More beautiful wool, more healthy sheep. This was sheaing at its beat. We got done right on time and we jumped in the car to tackle the last job. One that I knew was going to be tough, these were "dorsets" but they were huge, with most of the ewes weighing in at ram weights of 200 odd pounds (meaning at by the end of this job I can reasonably assume that I had wrestled 8000 pounds of sheep). He had 40 sheep to be done and I had scheduled him last because I knew these sheep were going to completely wear me out. But them he ran them into the barn and all you could see were the burrs. Big sheep is one thing, big sheep with burrs makes your blood run cold. Well we got set up and ready to roll. The last thing I remember was looking at my arms and thinking..."wow it feels great to have strong arms with no cuts". Then I pulled out the first one. This was the beginning of the end. As a sheep shearer people need to be aware that this is a hard job and when I was just learning, it wasn't unusual to cry over the sheep. Your back hurts, the sheep don't cooperate, the gear starts to fail...it's not an easy job but when it goes right it is such a buzz. Working on these dorsets was a major buzz kill. Big sheep fight, show type sheep typically have very long legs with wool the whole way down to the hoof. Non show type sheep tend to be fatter/rounder but there is the issue of the extra weight to move around although I find they tend to be more relaxed. Show type sheep are fighters and the long legs are always just missing your face when they kick. So we were slowly making our way through them, about ten sheep in I got a really bad fighter. This really just starts to break down your confidence. Shearing in the direct sun also didn't help and I felt my head starting to bake. By 15 sheep my arms were shredded and I had lost one sheep mid shear and another I lost trying to get her out of the gate. By 25 sheep my arms were shaking and bleeding, my head was pounding, and the sheep were still big and angry. By 30 sheep I was completely starting to break down and it was starting to get dark. Somewhere in this time I broke a blade which is so maddening since they cost $25-40 dollars depending on the brand and breaking blades on these sheep makes you really question whether its worth the fight. By 36 it was really getting dark and the sheep just kept coming. I kept asking how many were left, he had told me it was 40 and it looked to be close but there appeared to still be a lot of sheep in the barn. At 38 I asked again, "HOW MANY ARE LEFT!?!" There was still 6. It was dark and 6 sheep was going to be pretty close to another hour of shearing at the rate I was working. I crumbled. I couldn't stand up straight for the pounding in my head. My arms were bright red with cuts. I was shaking and could barely get the sheep down. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. I would like to think that had it not been dark (there were no barn lights where we were shearing) I might have pushed on. But it was dark and I was completely spent. Do you know in the movies when the high school football team has to make the last run to win the game and they dig deep and pull off the big win? I felt like I was in that scene and I wasn't able to make it. The movie of my life was completely anticlimactic and now people would feel sorry for me. The farmer kept saying it was fine and that I should be proud I did as many as I did. I hated the pity. I hated knowing I couldn't finish the last 6 sheep. I hated being weak when it means so much more because I am a girl. Some days I hate this job, and I hate the big sheep. I pulled over twice on the way home to throw up, definite heat stress. I cried, Lydia comforted me. My sensible half gave me the greatest text hug. I finally was able to eat something and I started feeling better. When I got home I took a long bath with oil and Epsom salts. Slathered my poor arms in neosporin and went to bed. Looking back on yesterday through the sunshine of today, I start to think that maybe yesterday wasn't the end, maybe at was just the sad low of the movie to let you emphasize with the heroine. Hopefully that is it. Yesterday was tough. No doubt about that. But you wanted to know the reality of this life and career...hopefully me crying "mercy" is a case of knowing my limits and not an example of my inability to dig deeper in the face of difficulty. 

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it!?I respect my shearer TOTALLY and do all in my power to make sure my sheep are dry and clean, there's a mat on the floor and xtra light, etc. But, I have a very small 'spinner's flock' that perhaps most shearers would dismiss as not worth their trouble.

    Is it futile to put certain terms/restrictions on these farms in order for you to shear SAFELY? What about your (and your beautiful daughter's) safety???

    Please keep safe and hooray for you and that game-winning touchdown!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Umm, ok, one more time, oh my. I feel so sad that you feel sad about just how awesome a thing you did. I understand completely that I have no real context upon which to relate to your world other than what you have shared with me and that I have been so blessed to have read, thanks to the gift that you give through your sharing and incredible writing skills in blogging (which I love, love, love....please don't stop!!!!!) Btw...I need more, am about to read the last post-I think- and yes, I need more!!!! So get off your tuckas and write, girl, write!

    Even though I have not a concrete lens with which to view your world, except my assuredly skewed one in which I vicariously and strangely jealously attempt to participate, I do completely understand the impact that simply being a girl has on one's job and the drive to compete with that daggum stuff...it obviously prevails in both sheep and politics. The sheer awareness of the unbalance in the scales helps us to succeed but doubly impacts the toll it takes on our stress levels. :-)

    Big hugs and lots of love to you for sharing this story. You are an inspiration to all of us, girls especially! Love you!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you wrote this some time ago, but I want to thank you for it anyway. As a beginning sheep shearer, shearing school and some of my early jobs felt a great deal like this.

    At my last job in Sonoma County, CA a fellow shearer and I showed up to find the animals running around in the field, not even caught. It was over 90 degrees and we were shearing in full sun next to a pen. The elderly rancher's middle aged son was a total meth addict who spoke *literally without ceasing* from 8 AM - 2 PM. I kept my shears running as much as possible (not taking enough breaks) just so the noise of them would drown him out. Some of the sheep (and surprise, the five goats she forgot to mention she had that also needed shearing!) had been in poison oak so my arms had THAT on them for days afterward; it went on and on.

    One ram (Jacob) thrashed so that he knocked the outside of his own horn off on the shearing plywood, so there was a ton of blood all over, and the owner and her scary meth head son were upset. It was a grand day! I was so weak from the struggle and the heat that I had to sit and eat fruit and water before I could drive the 45 minutes home to my sweet husband. But, it's just one day. That's what I tell myself: it was just one day, it's over now, and there are many others (if I'm lucky).

    I started shearing in my mid 30s and wish I'd had some exposure to agriculture so I could have gotten started at 16! But, I try. And I know what you mean about the weakness expectation, since I'm female as well. I really have to prove I have the strength because people assume I don't from the beginning, though some fiber makers with smaller flocks (usually women in my neck of the woods) like it because they assume I'll cut the sheep less because I'm female. No pressure!

    Anyway, I read this post whenever I have a day like the one I had recently. As a beginner, I enjoy the fantasy that, with more experience, these kinds of days just won't happen anymore but I KNOW that's not true. It was so helpful of you, with your experience, to remind the rest us of that honestly. Thank you and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete