Friday, May 9, 2014

Golden Shears Ireland!

I have been keeping a huge secret from many of the faithful followers of my blog. The truth is I have neglected to tell you about my upcoming trip to Ireland to once again represent the USA in the world sheep shearing championships. The reason for my hesitation is that I didn't legitimately make the team, I was actually a runner up...in wool handling of all things. The last two years I have participated in a few wool handling events held here in the United States, one in Mile City Montana and the other at the Black Hills Stock Show in Rapid City South Dakota. Because of my participation in these events I accumulated enough points to be third in line to go to the world champs and when our reigning champ opted out in February I eagerly stepped up to the challenge. 
This will be my second time representing the USA in world competition. I will not be blade shearing at all this time but I am taking my handpiece and seeing how well I can get along in the open competition that is running in conjunction to the world competition. 
So, all the details! My plane leaves Chicago on May 18 and I'll be flying back on May 29. We are flying into Dublin and then renting a car and heading south about an hour along to coast to arrive at beautiful Gorey Ireland, located in county Wexford. 


Once we get there and get settled in the itinerary for the next few days is gonna be intense. If you are interested in keeping tabs on the action there are several links to check out that should keep you up to date on the action.

Www.goldenshearsireland.com

My schedule of events is going to look something like this:
May 22
7:00- Open Wool Handling Heat
9:30- All Nations Jr Machine Shearing Heat
11:30- All Nations Jr Machine Shearing Semi Final

May 23
10:30- Golden Shears World Wool Handling Round 1

May 24
7:00- All Nations Open Wool Handling Semi Final
12:45- Golden Shears World Wool Handling Round 2
6:30 (18:30)- All Nations Jr Machine Shearing Final

Pretty sure it's going to be epic:)

Keep in mind that the time zone I'll be in is 5 hours ahead of the Eastern Standard Time so keep that in mind if you try to tune in for any live streaming.

Also check out the Golden Shears Ireland Facebook page and Twitter accounts. 

Here is another news link to check out if you are pumped about the "Olympics of Sheep Shearing!"

http://www.agriland.ie/news/14-days-counting-world-sheep-shearing-championships/

I'm going to be posting frequent updates on both my Facebook and blog, keep checking back as I attempt to make it feel like you all are right their with me!! Go USA!!!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! You know your home fan base will be cheering you on! Have fun and be safe! Go team USA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Congrats. Will check out those links and cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete